As the fall season is upon us homeowners start thinking about starting up their furnaces, and other gas appliances, to be ready for winter. One essential item that absolutely must be a part of any gas system is one or more carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas, it is a byproduct of unburned propane or natural gas. It commonly occurs because there is insufficient combustion from a gas appliance or the venting system is inadequate. A few years ago I had a carbon monoxide death case which was caused by a squirrel the got caught in the chimney and prevented the carbon monoxide fumes from being vented to the outside.
There are many ways the carbon monoxide can accumulate within a home and if it does it is deadly. Carbon monoxide has no warning odor, this means if carbon monoxide does accumulate anyone inside the home WILL NOT BE WARNED. There is only one way to detect carbon monoxide and that is by the use of a carbon monoxide detector. Carbon monoxide detectors worked in the same fashion as a smoke detector by sounding an alarm whenever carbon monoxide is detected. In many states outside of Iowa carbon monoxide detectors are required by law but unfortunately are not in Iowa. Unfortunately the propane gas or natural gas suppliers do not do an adequate job of warning their customers of the great peril customers face if they do not utilize carbon monoxide detectors.
You can purchase carbon monoxide detectors at many locations such as a Wal-Mart, Sears or any hardware store. They are easy to install and WILL SAVE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY FOR SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH!!!
Donald G. Beattie