Keep Your Home CO Free

With winter coming it’s important to remember that as the temperature drops, the rate of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning throughout the country rises. Because so many wintertime CO incidents are attributed to malfunctioning furnaces and appliances, we encourage you to familiarize yourself with signs of carbon monoxide poisoning so you can better protect yourself and your loved ones.

Symptoms of CO poisoning include nausea, fatigue and shortness of breath, headache and dizziness. Be alert if you notice any of the following, as they can be signs that an appliance may be malfunctioning and creating CO:

· Wall and window condensation

· House plants dying

· Sluggish pets

· Chronic appliance odors

· Flu-like symptoms in home residents

In addition to knowing what to look for, it’s important to take steps to prevent CO in the home. These tips can help keep you and your family safe:

· Make sure all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working/have fresh batteries. Detectors should be placed on each floor of a home, especially near sleeping areas. Be aware of the devices’ shelf lives, so you can replace as needed.

· Be careful when using space heaters. Never place them on top of furniture, near water or flammable items.

· Keep all interior and exterior vents clear.

· Install all appliances properly, using a qualified technician if necessary, and operate them according to manufacturer’s directions. Make sure the ventilation space around appliances ensures safe operation.

· Maintain your heating system. Have it inspected and serviced regularly, and be sure to change furnace filters when needed.

We at the Beattie Law Firm care about your safety and want you to take these preventative measures. If you or a loved one becomes a victim contact us immediately, we are experienced in cases involving injuries sustained by carbon monoxide, fires and explosions and can help.

Speak Your Mind