What do I do for compensation when I am off work after a car accident?

What happens when more than one driver caused the accident?
February 25, 2021
Trucking Accidents: Why Defensive Driving Is Important
June 1, 2021
Show all

What do I do for compensation when I am off work after a car accident?

If you’ve sustained injuries from a car accident that prevent you to work in the state of Iowa, you may be eligible to claim your lost earnings

“Lost earnings” refers to the money you missed out on because you were not able to work as a result of your injuries. You may be able to get compensated for lost earnings incurred from the time of the accident to the time of your settlement or trial.

If you’re asking for compensation for lost wages, you must have adequate proof of your injuries and how much money you lost from being unable to work. Your evidence must include:

Proof of Injuries

You must show proof of the injuries you sustained that are preventing you from working. This could be a simple note from the doctor who is treating you. Oftentimes, the doctor will recommend how much time you should take off from work, which would also be documented in your records.

Documentation of Lost Wages

You must also provide documentation of how much money you would have made if you could physically work. Generally, this is done with past pay stubs and tax returns. It could help to get a letter from your employer stating your rate of pay during the time of your injury.

Hire A Financial Expert

Calculating the wages you lost while not working can be a difficult and complicated process so you may want to consider hiring a financial expert. A professional can review your records and compile a detailed report showing how your injury has affected your earnings.

Regardless of your injuries or your specific situation, there is a limited amount of time for compensation for lost wages following a car accident. In Iowa, the general statute of limitations is 2 years from the date of the accident. You must have your lawsuit filed or settled by that date or you could lose out on compensation.

Seek Legal Counsel

If you’re in need of representation or assistance following a motor vehicle accident, contact Beattie Law Firm. We proudly provide service to clients throughout the Ames, Knoxville, and Des Moines, IA areas. We will help you get the compensation you deserve!