Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Kills One and Sends 27 to Hospital in Long Island

Graco Carseat Recall
February 20, 2014
Family of Three Killed in Auto Accident
March 7, 2014
Show all

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Kills One and Sends 27 to Hospital in Long Island

On Sunday in Long Island, New York, carbon monoxide caused the death of a restaurant manager, and 27 people, including first responders, were treated due to the carbon monoxide poisoning.


Colorless, odorless carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels like oil and natural gas. It was reported that the restaurant did not have a carbon monoxide detector.


We at the Beattie Law Firm have stressed the importance of having a carbon monoxide detector. The small device can be life saving in the event that there is a leak. Known as the silent killer, here is what you should know about carbon monoxide:


It has no odor, color or taste. You cannot see or smell carbon monoxide, and it can be very dangerous to your health and even fatal.


If there’s a leak, act immediately. Sources of carbon monoxide could include unvented gas space heaters, leaking furnaces or automobile exhaust in garages.


It diminishes your ability to absorb oxygen. If you are exposed to too much carbon monoxide in the air you’re breathing, you won’t be able to take in as much oxygen as needed, resulting in serious damage to your tissues.


Its symptoms are often mistaken for something else. When carbon monoxide is released slowing, victims may mistake their symptoms for the flu. Victims may also lose muscle control and will probably succumb to poisoning.


According to the Centers for Disease Control, more than 400 Americans die every year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning, and it is responsible for more than 20,000 people visiting the emergency room annually.


We at the Beattie Law Firm care about your health and do not want you to be the next victim of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you do not have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, we encourage you to purchase one. This small device can save your life.